Alondra Reyes Ponce learned her languages sequentially. She is a native Spanish speaker who started learning English at the age of seven when she came to the U.S. However, her predominant language at school is English. In fact until yesterday Alondra had never spoken to me in Spanish. This is part of the reason I chose to work with her. I know that Alondra’s family places much value on both education and being bilingual because her mother has told me so. I am wondering how she will fare without direct Spanish language learning in place at school. Orally she seems to being doing quite well.
Alondra’s dominant language is Spanish. However, at school Alondra predominanatly speaks English. It is rare to hear her speak to anyone except her friends in Spanish and even then she tends to speak more English than Spanish. During our meeting Alondra shared that she prefers to discuss personal problems with her friends in Spanish because it offers her more privacy. Speaking in Spanish makes it more difficult for others to understand otherwise she prefers to practice her English while she is at school. When I asked Alondra which language she prefers to speak at home she responded very quickly with "Spanish". She said that at home she speaks at least 90 percent of the time in Spanish. According to Alondra she and her little brother sometimes practice English with mom, but otherwise they speak in Spanish. She told me that when they practice they speak in Spanish and then fill in words to practice in English …deliberate code-switching? I asked Alondra to elaborate in Spanish about where else she might use English outside of home and at school. Her response was...“hay cosas como un check up que tienes que hablar en inglés.
Alondra and I also spoke in English about her favorite pastimes and what she likes to do at home. She told me about how much she loves poetry. I asked her if she noticed any differences between poetry written here in the U.S. and poetry written in Mexico. She had some very interesting insights. One of them included some very clear code switching, “A veces in English they write them in cursive”. There was also some transfer as she referred to Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends as The End of the Sidewalk.
In analizing Alondra’s Oral English development I would place her at a level 4 expanding according to the WIDA standards. Alondra not only told me several stories about her family, and her likes and dislikes, but expanded on her opinions by explaining to me why she liked poems in English and in Spanish. She also was able to discuss how it would benefit her to have a class for Spanish speakers instead of an exploratory class in the middle school (creating solutions to problems). She explained that it would help her write well in Spanish and learn the things she can’t do at home. Alondra’s oral proficiency score (ACCESS test for 2009-2010) of 3.9 supports this analysis.
Alondra and I also spoke in English about her favorite pastimes and what she likes to do at home. She told me about how much she loves poetry. I asked her if she noticed any differences between poetry written here in the U.S. and poetry written in Mexico. She had some very interesting insights. One of them included some very clear code switching, “A veces in English they write them in cursive”. There was also some transfer as she referred to Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends as The End of the Sidewalk.
In analizing Alondra’s Oral English development I would place her at a level 4 expanding according to the WIDA standards. Alondra not only told me several stories about her family, and her likes and dislikes, but expanded on her opinions by explaining to me why she liked poems in English and in Spanish. She also was able to discuss how it would benefit her to have a class for Spanish speakers instead of an exploratory class in the middle school (creating solutions to problems). She explained that it would help her write well in Spanish and learn the things she can’t do at home. Alondra’s oral proficiency score (ACCESS test for 2009-2010) of 3.9 supports this analysis.
In Spanish I would place Alondra at a level 6. She is able to freely discuss, debate and defend her ideas and thoughts in Spanish. Alondra is a very articulate young lady. She was able to clearly express her opinions on why being bilingual is important, giving several examples and sharing her personal plans to improve both of her languages.
What I found most interesting about Alondra’s oral language is the richness she is exposed to at home in Spanish. Her mother and father highly encourage Alondra to practice both languages at home and strongly support her reading and writing in Spanish. Further, her mother is from Puebla and her father is from Veracruz. Alondra told me that they often use different words for the same items and have to describe to one another what they are referring to using circumlocution. Of further interest is that Alondra is also exposed to her mother’s native Nahuatl (a native Mexican language) when mom speaks on the telephone with her aunts. I asked Alondra whether or not she has learned any Nahuatl, but she said though she understands a few words and childrens’ songs that her mother sang to her as a baby she hasn’t had the chance to practice it yet.
What an interesting student you picked! I got tears in my eyes when you talked about her mother's native tongue... Nahuatl. What a beautiful language, and what a rich number of languages your student has been exposed to and has participated in.
ReplyDeleteI had a total connection with Alondra's desire to speak Spanish with her friends to discuss private matters. My husand and I constantly switch languages according to who is surrounding us. For example, when we lived in Mexico and went to touristy restaurants, we would speak in Spanish, but when we went to a local restaurant, we would speak in English. It is a wonderful thing to be able to switch languages to protect some privacy (although it is also dangerous to make assumptions about what others understand).
I thought it was interesting that this was the first time she spoke with you in Spanish, yet she was comfortable to code-switch in her conversation with you. Had you heard her code-switch before with others?
Julie,
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that Alondra already recognizes the benefit of being bilingual and what an asset that will continue to be in her life. She is also lucky to have parents that have the time and energy to continuously encourage her to use both English and Spanish and expose her to rich language at home. It never fails to amaze me how bilingual students use their language skills so fluidly. The fact that she and her brother encourage play on words in both languages is awesome!
At Badger Ridge is there a Latinos student group or a Spanish club? When I was in high school I remember that Latinos were involved in our Spanish club which was rewarding for native English speakers and rewarding for them as we shared our interest in Spanish and culture studies. Perhaps this would be something Alondra could identify with and contribute to in order to bridge the gap between using Spanish at home and at school.
I am sure it is quite rewarding to be able to finally speak in Spanish and open another door into the life of a child. I think we find out so much more from our students if we have interactions with them in both their L1 and L2. I don’t know about you, but this experience has made me want to have more consistent check-ins and hopefully interviews with my bilingual students. I only wish that I spoke more languages to have such experiences with all of them. There are speakers of fourteen different languages in Kindergarten alone!
Keep up the good work!
Melissa
Hi Julie,
ReplyDeleteI hope you are doing well and I enjoyed reading your analysis of Alondra (My boyfriend is a friend of her father and she is a kind and hard working young lady). I am surprised that she has never spoken Spanish to you before due to it being the predominant language in her home but I think it is great that you are going to get to work with her in Spanish for this project. How do you think having a Spanish literacy class available for Alondra and students in similar positions would increase the amount of Spanish she uses at school? I feel really lucky to work at a school where in fifth grade I am still able to work with students to build their Spanish literacy.
I found your analysis of her oral language interesting and impressed with her ability to utilize academic language in both languages. It is wonderful that she has such strong Spanish oral language and the code switching demonstrated linguistic creativity. I hope she is able to continue to develop her oral language proficiency in both languages! What do you foresee? I think her positive attitude is an important component of this development.
I look forward to hearing more about this wonderful young lady.
~Jackie
Hi Jackie,
ReplyDeleteWhen I met with Alondra I made the comment to her "wow, I don't think you've ever really spoken to me in Spanish...why do you think that is?" She told me that when she talks to her teachers she usually does it in English and then didn't really elaborate. I think when we met she enjoyed speaking to me in Spanish about personal things, and she really opened up more in Spanish than she did in English. Her proficiency though is growing in English and even though her Spanish proficiency is strong now, I worry about all of my students not having any formal Spanish instruction until they get to hight school. I'm pushing for a Spanish for Spanish speakers class since the Spanish literacy program was cut, but I unfortunately don't see it happening any time soon. Finally, yes...Alondra is a super hard worker with an exceptional attitude and I think that plays a huge role in her progress and future success.
Julie,
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome that you are advocating for your students and I hope they are able to see the importance of a Spanish for Spansih speakers and the possbilities of becoming bilingual and biliterate.
~Jackie