Friday, March 25, 2011

Writing Analysis

Alondra Reyes Ponce has a love for reading and writing both, not something most middle school students will admit to.  She prefers to read and write in Spanish because she feels that she can understand and express herself better in her first language.  Yet, Alondra’s writing in English seems to be more advanced than it is in Spanish.  This could be due to her having only sporadic bilingual instruction in reading and writing grades 3-5.  In 6th grade Alondra transitioned into a support model here at Badger Ridge Middle School and continues to study hard under this model as a 7th grader.  Alondra has had no formal reading or writing instruction in Spanish beyond the three years in elementary school.  When I asked her where she feels she learned most of her writing skills in Spanish she told me that it was during those years in elementary school, but that much more work was done in English than in Spanish during that time.  This would certainly account for her having stronger writing skills in her second language than in her first.        

The writing sample that Alondra shared with me in English is a story that she is writing on her own at home.  Her story is about growing up in Mexico.  She is very proud of how much she can remember before moving to the United States at the age of seven.  She tells a chronological story of how she grew and what she would do each day with her mother.  The discourse pattern clearly follows that of English writing as she takes the reader step by step, day by day, year by year on her journey.  She takes the reader from one event to the next using transition words like “One day,…After her mother left… After years (years later)” . Alondra’s writing does include a few run on sentences that might mirror Spanish discourse patterns such as “Her mom’s name was Valeria and her mom worked selling shoe’s laces and blenders pieces her mother would wake up really early to go to work,” but the number of simple sentences far outweighs the run-ons:  “She loved to eat them.  Her mom was busy talking to customers.  Alondra decided to poke a hole in the cup, etc.  In this case it seems more a simple misuse of punctuation than a Spanish based discourse pattern.   

Alondra’s developmental stage of writing in English is at the conventional stage.  Though Alondra makes a few mistakes in grammar / syntax (keep vs. kept, “Alondra keep growing”, and selled vs. sold “Lupita’s grandmother selled ice pops), she has a strong control of spelling patterns and sentence structure.  Alondra’s vocabulary usage is fairly simplistic, but her sentence structure and ideas are complex. Alondra wrote: “One day she got her tamal and a cup of atole but she could not open the cup.  Her mom was busy selling and talking to customers.  So Alondra decided to poke a hole in the cup.  After her mother and her mother’s friends came to see Alondra.  She was covered in Atole.”

Throughout four pages of hand-written text, there is no evidence of code-switching.  There are a few examples of language transfer such as “After years” vs. years later and “after” vs. later, but overall I believe Alondra’s writing gets stronger and stronger as she continues to write in and out of school.   Alondra’s ACCESS score in writing for 2009-2010 was a 3.6.  I am curious to see what her results will be for this year given that this is her lowest categorical score for the ACCESS test.  According to the WIDA can-do descriptors I would place Alondra at a level 4 expanding.  She is able to use details and examples to support her ideas and uses transitions words appropriately to lead the reader through her story. According to those same can-do descriptors however Alondra’s Spanish writing would be more appropriately placed at a level 3 developing.  She is able to state a main idea with some details, but lacks transitions and struggles with grammar/syntax.   

Alondra’s writing sample in Spanish is an affidavit that she is writing about herself.  The affidavit seems to start out with a traditional English discourse pattern, but then transitions into a discourse pattern with a much more additive relationship.  Alondra makes four simple statements about herself to start the affidavit, but continues by telling her story… “llegamos a los estados unidos en el 2006 y nuestras vidas cambiaron por completamente porque avia nieve por toda la ciudad y no sabiamos hablarar ingles.  Yo tenia miedo de ir ala escuela por que no sabia y conosia a nadie pero con el tiempo conosi a personas que podia confiar para hablar.  

Alondra’s writing in Spanish seems to mirror most closely the transitional stage of writing.  Though she uses no accent marks in her writing and has trouble confusing the “letras monstruas” such as in the words “educasion, halli (allí), asia(hacía) and llo(yo), I see that her writing moves beyond the phonetic stage in her sentence length and the complexity of her writing.  The sample shows no evidence of language transfer and only one example of code switching.  She states: “mi escuela es bilingual.”

For having such limited access to formal instruction in her native language over the last 11 years, it seems to me that Alondra is well on her way to becoming a great writer in both languages.  She just needs the opportunity to learn, explore and hone her writing skills in both languages.




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a middle school teacher myself, I'm really impressed with your student's work. It's so great that Alondra has such an enthusiasm for writing that you actually got to review a 4 page story (written at home, no less)! I could barely get my student to write anything, and she is pretty focused academically, too.

    The examples that you provided in English and Spanish do illustrate how much more advanced she is in her English writing. It is too bad that she has been unable to be more formally educated more in writing in Spanish--she certainly seems like a student who would really enjoy and benefit from it. Some of the grammar issues that Alondra has, such as sentence fragments, remind me of the "moving target" issue our ELLs have--they are always trying to catch up with monolingual peers that they miss developing certain skills at the same age. By 7th grade it is unlikely that she will be formally instructed again in irregular past tense verbs or in writing a complete sentence, especially in a support model (unless you have her in an ESL language arts class). It's so hard to catch these students up sometimes, even when they have such good attitudes and want to do well. Do you find that to be a problem?

    I was also surprised that Alondra used different writing patterns for each language, because most of the students I work with tend to stick with the Spanish discourse patterns when writing in English. It seems like she has really internalized these structures when expressing herself in the different languages. I imagine that she was explicitly taught the transition phrases in English that you mentioned (like "one day,"). Perhaps she has not been formally instructed in the Spanish equivalent to sort of trigger a more sequential/linear organization pattern in Spanish. I wonder if that does happen for some bilingual students.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrggg, not sure what just happened but I tried to post my comments and google said it was unable to process my request. I'll try to recreate what I'd said and see what happens:)

    Julie,

    Your comments resonated with me on many levels as I'm a middle school teacher too and I've worked with many students like Alondra. In particular, I've seen many students who prefer to read and write in Spanish even though their skills in English are probably a bit stronger. I agree with you that the sporadic nature of native language development through elementary school has impacted our student's language development. I thought it was interesting that Alondra chose to write her story at home in English--despite the fact that it chronicled her life in Mexico and she said that she preferred to write in Spanish. Do you know why Alondra chose to write this story in English?

    I've also seen many students who seem to be at a similar level in Spanish writing. We have a Spanish for Spanish speakers course at our school that has addressed Spanish literacy for some of these students. Unfortunately, it is only accessible for select few of our students and is only offered in 7th/8th grade. I often wonder how school with programs similar to mine support native language development (with what I assume are limited resources like ours). Is there any type of native language support in place at your school for students like Alondra?

    It sounds like Alondra is a pleasure to teach...you have to love the students who choose to write on their own!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I really enjoyed reading your profile on Alondra. Most of the profiles I have read so far are based on interactions with elementary aged children that I never work with in school. Mt student is a couple of years older than yours but has a very similar profile. She recvd bilingual education in spanish when she was in elementary school out in California but beyond age nine all of her instruction in reading and writing has been in English. I wish I had the insight to ask my student for a piece of creative writing instead of the formal essay she gave me to analyze. I think it would have told me a lot more about her abilities in both languages if the writing were creative vs a scripted project. I smiled at Alondras reference to the shoe's laces. My students make apostrophe "s" errors all the itme when transferring between the two languages, it doesnt matter which one is your first, they always seem to wrestle with it. Does Alondra have a pretty large Spanish speaking peer group at your school? I wish my studnet had a few more peers she could interact with in her native tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara,

    Yes, Alondra is very fortunate to have a large number of Spanish speaking classmates and friends. Of all of them she speaks the most English with me, but probably has the strongest literacy in Spanish. I was glad too that Alondra offered to share her personal writing with me. Her stories offered me a chance to get to know more about her and were creative and interesting to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie,

    Unfortunately there is no language support for Alondra in her native langauge. She likes to practice at home and is highly encouraged by her mom and dad. She loves to read and write and says that she prefers to do so in Spanish, but her story was written in English and this week she shared with me that she reads more in English as well. Your question about why she chose to write in English when her story is aobut growing up in Mexico is a good one. I'll have to ask her.

    ReplyDelete